Creating Remarkable Futures
Be part of an amazing experience!
Outdoor Instructor / Teacher with Outdoor Qualifications
- Full Time, Permanent
- Commencement date – As Soon As Possible
- Whakatane - Bay of Plenty
St Cuthbert’s has been educating and growing amazing young women for over a century. Kahunui is our residential outdoor centre and is at the core of this. It provides wonderful outdoor experiences alongside teaching valuable life skills to create well rounded young women. Every Year 10 girl spends a month at our Bay of Plenty outdoor campus – a truly transformative experience she will remember forever.
We have the pleasure of seeking a passionate and experienced Outdoor Instructor or a teacher with an outdoor qualification that will work collaboratively with the Kahunui team, the girls and other College leaders.
St Cuthbert’s is the only New Zealand girls’ school to offer a residential life skills outdoor learning programme on a separate campus, which is designed to advance all levels of fitness – social, physical, emotional and intellectual. Our girls emerge with new-found resilience, self-confidence, and a fresh appreciation of their home and family.
About the role:
We are looking for a passionate Outdoor Instructor or Teacher with outdoor qualifications, with the energy and enthusiasm for our program at Kahunui. Our small, dedicated team work together in all areas of the program from preparing students for outdoor excursions, gear maintenance and checks, outdoor education including tramping, sea kayaking and overnight camps to house tutor duties and supervision of some morning and night activities during each intake.
Our team live on campus together and work hard to provide a unique, student centred, outdoor programme that caters to the individual needs of our students. This is more than just an outdoor instructing job. It involves a strong emphasis on pastoral care and a desire to build professional relationships with our students in order to see them learn and grow. If making a difference sounds like something that gets you out of bed in the morning, then we want to hear from you!
To be successful in this role, you need to:
- Epitomize St Cuthbert's "By Love Serve" motto. Being yourself and having a can-do attitude in all you do are important factors for success in this role.
- Have a mature focus on leading and developing others.
- It is essential you have relevant experience and the proven ability to mentor and guide young adolescence with a full New Zealand driver’s license or a valid overseas license and be flexible around work hours and patterns.
- You will be proactive, energetic, and pragmatic; able to demonstrate professional practice while sharing expertise in an educational and engaging way.
- Able to work independently with little or no supervision, and are well-organized, flexible and enjoy the challenges of supporting culturally diverse people.
- You may bring experience from secondary education, preferably with qualifications in sea kayaking and tramping.
- Demonstrate health and safety knowledge and be able to adhere to and implement important safety and wellbeing practices.
This is an exciting opportunity to showcase your skills, build and nurture positive working relationships and be part of an amazing journey.
Click here to find out more about our Kahunui life skills experience.
At St Cuthbert's, we are proud supporters of diversity and inclusion and believe that the people are our greatest asset.
Are you ready to make a difference?
Closing Date:- Friday 27th May 2022